Phil Mickelson is one of the best golfers in the world and one of the few living legends. As of 2018, Phil has won 43 PGA Tour events, including 5 major championships. Phil Mickelson is a thrilling player, and at 48 years of age, he’s still going strong.
In our “What’s in the bag?” series (or “WITB”) we highlight the best clubs and gear that professional players are currently using in their bags. So, if you are currently looking to take your golf game to the next level, then take a look at what’s in Phil Mickelson bag.
Phil Mickelson Career Highlights Video
Driver: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero (9 degrees)
Shaft: Project X HZRDUS T 1100
The Callaway Rogue Sub Zero driver combines Jailbreak Technology with its innovative X-Face VFT Technology to promote high ball speed and long distance. The Triaxial Carbon Crown increases MOI which promotes more forgiveness. Two interchangeable weights (2-gram and 14-gram) allow you to customize spin rate and launch angle. Callaway worked with Boeing to improve their Speed Step technology which is designed to improve airflow and promote faster club head speed. Designed to appeal to Tour pros, the Rogue Sub Zero driver is forgiving and easy to hit, making it perfect for any amateur seeking distance and accuracy off the tee.
- Lighter Jailbreak rods allow Callaway to move weight to increase forgiveness and provide more ball speed.
- Traixial Carbon Crown and larger head shape increase forgiveness on off-center hits.
- New Speed Step technology improves aerodynamics, promoting higher clubhead speeds.
Fairway Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3+ (13.5 degrees)
Shaft: Mitsubishi Fubuki J85 X
The Callaway Rogue Sub Zero fairway wood combines the incredible Jailbreak Technology and Face Cup Technology to promote faster ball speed across most of the club face for consistently long distance. The Triaxial Carbon Crown increases MOI and provides more forgiveness while the 5-gram weight screw in the sole’s front allows golfers to position CG low and forward to lower spin for extra distance. The size, shape and position of the Speed Step have been enhanced to improve airflow and promote faster club and ball speed.
- The Jailbreak Technology is featured in a fairway wood for the first time, increasing clubhead stability.
- Face Cup technology increases ball speed on all shots, including off-center hits.
- Five-gram weight screw positions CG low and forward for lower launch and low spin, which increases distance.
Hybrid: Callaway Rogue (19 degrees)
Shaft: KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95X
The Callaway Rogue Hybrid features Jailbreak Technology which increases ball speed and distance. The innovative Face Cup Technology combined with Jailbreak Technology promotes fast ball speed across most of the face for consistently long distance, while the ultra-low CG location makes the hybrids easy to hit from any lie.
- Used for the first time in a hybrid, the innovative Jailbreak Technology stiffens the club head for explosive ball speed.
- An ultra-thin Carpenter 455 steel face and Face Cup technology increase ball speed even on off-center strikes.
- An Internal Standing Wave behind the club face positions the CG lower for easy launch and long, straight flight from the fairway and sand.
Irons: Callaway X Forged UT (18 degrees)
Shaft: UST Mamiya iRod 95F5
Engineered with the Tour pro in mind, the Callaway X-Forged UT Utility Irons offer a versatile option off the tee. A tungsten-infused insert increases MOI to increase club stability while also increasing overall carry. The traditional long iron shape is comprised of a hollow body construction and 360 Face Cup Technology which increases forgiveness and performance on off-center hits. Center-of-gravity positioning toward the center of the face maximizes ball speed and accuracy.
Irons: Callaway Epic Pro (4-iron), Callaway X Forged 18 (5-7), Callaway Apex MB (8-PW)
Shaft: KBS Tour V 125
The Callaway Epic Pro irons possess every performance advantage with the most ultra-premium materials and are some of the most technologically advanced irons available today. The next generation 360 Face Cup Technology adds even more ball speed on center hits and minimizes distance loss on off-center hits.
The Callaway X Forged irons were designed based on extensive feedback from Tour professionals with forged performance, precision shot-making and a classic finish. The meticulous triple net forging provides exceptional feel and high performance while the Tour-configured soles are designed for excellent turf interaction from a wide variety of lies. 20V grooves are built in enhance control and excellent spin out of any playing condition as well as reduce fliers from the rough.
The Callaway Apex MB irons feature a tour-inspired build and have a high-quality forged design. They have the same grooves as the Apex Pro irons but with optimized turf interaction technology.
- Crafted from high quality medals, these irons are some of the finest available on the market.
- With design focused for the game’s top players, they feature unmatched distance, accuracy, and shot-make capability.
- The forged irons provide exceptional feel and a classic look all serious golfers love.
Wedge: Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind (56-13, 64-10), Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 2.0 (60-10)
Shaft: KBS Tour V 125
The Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind wedges were designed by Callaway wedge craftsman Roger Cleveland with direct input from Phil. The high toe helps the wedge handle high rough while the grooves, which run across the whole face, make this wedge on of the most versatile clubs available today. Designed for aggressive short game and wedge shots, this club is the ideal fit for the serious golfer.
- With 39% for grooved surface area, the Mack Daddy PM Grind increases playability across the entire clubface.
- Spin Milled grooves deliver up to 100 rpm more spin on average.
- Available in several lofts and bounce angles, every golfer can find a wedge or set of wedges that suits their game.
- The four holes drilled into the sole help move the center-of gravity up, making it easier to spin from a variety of lies.
Putter: Odyssey Versa No. 9 White
Shaft: SuperStroke Slim 3.0
The Odyssey Versa #9 putter utilizes high contrast alignment technology by highlighting the proper face angle from address through impact. The black and white contrast helps your eyes key in on the putter’s linear designs to improve concentration. The improved white hot insert features a more consistent sound, softer feel and performance across the entire face. The versa putters accentuate the face angle at address, as well as highlight the face angle throughout the stroke.
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X
The new Callaway Chrome Soft X golf balls are perfect for those seeking the very best in soft feel, maximum forgiveness and workable ball flight. The Chrome Soft X combines Tour-proven performance with incredible feel and exceptional mis-hit forgiveness. Callaway’s new Graphene Dual SoftFast Core promotes higher launch and lower spin with the driver and fairway woods for longer distance while the thin, ultra-soft Tour Urethane Cover generates shot-controlling spin on approach shots, pitches and chips. The premium dual-core construction increases distance off of your longer clubs and more control off of mid-irons, short-irons and wedges.
- One of the most versatile and high performing golf balls available.
- Graphene Dual SoftFast Core increases distance from the tee without sacrificing feel.
- Ultra-soft Tour Urethane cover feels great off the clubface and delivers unmatched spin.
Phil Mickelson is one of the best golfers in the world and uses some of the best clubs and equipment in the game. However, as you can see from our WITB review, Phil is not using the latest and greatest in the golf industry. Rather, he is using clubs and equipment that he has found helps him play his best golf. So, if you are looking to improve your golf game, take a look at what’s in Phil’s bag. You may find something that will help you take your game to the next level.