Bubba Watson is one of the best players on the tour, and a fan favorite with victories at the Masters in 2012 and 2014. With his recent top finish at the 2018 Travelers Championship, he now has a total of 12 career wins; 3 of them coming from 2018 alone. This fearless shot-maker maintains incredible stats from his natural athletic capability paired with a drive to be one of the best golfers of our time.
As always, in our “What’s in the bag?” series (or “WITB”) we bring light to only the best clubs and gear that professional players are currently using in their bags. So, if you are currently looking to take your golf game to the next level, then take a look at what’s in Bubba Watson’s bag.
Bubba Watson Career Highlights Video
Driver: Ping G400 LST (8.5 degrees)
The G400 is one of Ping’s fastest and most forgiving drivers ever produced, making it a key piece in Bubba’s arsenal when paired with his Grafalloy Bi Matrix Pink X-Flex shaft. The Ping G400 LST features a T9S+ club face that creates a thinner impact area, to help improve ball speed across the entire face of the club. Additionally, the T9S+ club face is 6% thinner and is 9% lighter, which allows for the extra weight to be placed more strategically in the club. This innovative design helps to tighten the dispersion which in turn improves forgiveness. The Ping G400 LST is also a fully adjustable club, allowing players to fine tune their launch conditions prior to a round by adjusting loft up to +/-1 degree. Lastly, with Dragonfly Technology, the G400 creates an ultra-thin crown and skirt which optimizes the CG location and increases MOI for maximum forgiveness and accuracy. This innovative design helps to further increase the Ping G400 LST clubhead size, which helps to give the club a deep, solid sound at the moment of impact.
- Ability to adjust the loft up to +/-1 degree for fine tuning to handle any launch condition.
- Dragonfly Technology helps optimize the CG location increasing MOI for accuracy.
- The T9S+ face is thinner, allowing the tungsten weight to be strategically placed in the back, thereby resulting in a low and deep CG that provides greater ball speed and more forgiveness.
- Boulder turbulators aid in a faster clubhead speed and help focus your eye for added accuracy.
Fairway Wood: Ping G (17.5 degrees)
The Ping G is one of Ping’s best fairway woods available on the market. With advanced aerodynamic Turbulators that help to increase club head speed and assist with alignment. This fairway wood’s upgraded, lowered leading edge sits closer to the ground and moves the impact surface higher on the face of the club. This gives you a more ideal launch with increased forgiveness on any mishits. The Carpenter 455 face and multi-tiered internal sole construction are additional features that increase face deflection. These improvements allow you to launch the ball higher and farther for maximum distance and increased confidence.
- Turbulator Technology encourages accurate alignment as well as increases the club head speed.
- The low leading edge sits closer to the ground to move the impact area higher on the face of the club. Providing an ideal launch and increased forgiveness on mishits.
- With a multi-tiered internal sole increasing face deflection, you can confidently achieve maximized ball flight distance.
Hybrid: Ping G (19 degrees)
Shaft: Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid X
The Ping G Hybrid is one of Ping’s most advanced hybrids to date, making it a key piece to Bubba’s bag. Ping’s Turbulator Technology allows it to be faster and more stable, providing players up to 4 more yards of carry on each hit. This is mainly due to the Turbulator Technology, which reduces drag and increases club speed at impact. The Carpenter 455 club face is much hotter than most hybrids providing an increase in face deflection, allowing higher ball speeds across the face. A tiered internal sole construction promotes increased ball speed, distance, and forgiveness. With all the benefits this club has to offer, many players would agree that the Ping G takes their game to the next level.
- With a higher face deflection, players can achieve higher ball speeds at impact.
- The integrated tiered internal sole assists players of any skill level to gain speed and distance while providing forgiveness on mishits .
- Players experience less drag, which can lead to up to 4 additional yards of carry.
While the Ping iBlade 2 iron is a Tour-only iron, his remaining Ping S55 iron set has similar features. Their 17-4 stainless steel heads have precision-machined faces, grooves, and a cavity to produce consistent performance. Its larger Custom Tuning Port (CTP) is deeper in the head, creating a lower center of gravity for increased launch angles. The CTP also produces an improved feel through impact of the ball. Lastly, a vertical bar on the back of the club stabilizes the face to give exceptional distance control from shot to shot. The Ping S55 has a tungsten weight in the toe to stabilize the head on off-center shots and improve forgiveness. It’s no surprise that the Ping iBlade irons are a confident choice for Tour players.
- Its forged body and face create greater distance and ball speed.
- Very forgiving irons, thanks to a larger Custom Tuning Port deep in the head, especially on off-center hits.
- An increase in moment of inertia (MOI) thanks to a high-density tungsten construction.
- With Tour-preferred feel, sound, and look, players will find the perfect combination to deliver the best available fit.
Ping has always been a top choice for players looking for a precision wedge around the green. Ping stepped up its game on the Glide 2.0 with new, sharper-edged grooves that are spaced closer together. These sharper-edge grooves increase friction, initiating more spin for precise distance and trajectory control from full swings to the most finesse shots. With enhanced sole grinds and lead edges in the SS series, these heads were carefully crafted for exceptional surface interaction and versatility. Allowing the wedge to glide through the turf and sand, giving players room for creativity in shot making. With such a smooth feel, this club will always be certain to perform no matter the situation.
- Milled faces and grooves are sharper and closer together giving players the ability to add up to 400 rpm spin.
- Dry or wet conditions, the hydropearl finish allows this wedge to perform no matter the situation.
- Low-lofted clubs have 1 extra groove while the higher-lofted clubs have 2 extra grooves- these additions provide more spin and shot control.
- SS Grid with heel and trail end relief assist golfers who may have moderate attack angles/divots.
Putter: Ping Anser 303SS
Grip: Ping Pistol
The Ping Anser is one of the most iconic designs of all time. It has been a favorite of numerous players over time due to its classic feel and its continuous putting ability. The Ping Anser putter sets up nicely, flush to the ground at address and has a smooth, confidence-inspiring and classic design. Its heel-toe weighting system reduces twisting on off-center strikes, allowing precision accuracy no matter the slope of the green. Its low CG will help any player with speed and control. The Ping Pistol grip provides a comfortable, natural feel, contributing to making this a great club and a popular choice for players of all skill levels.
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x
The Titleist Pro V1x is by far the number one ball used on Tour. It’s no wonder. The Titleist Pro V1x provides extraordinary distance, with high launch and persistent flight. The Titleist Pro V1x are ideal for players who spin the ball too much and are looking for a higher launch and lower spin off the tee. When it comes to greenside control, it offers the very best in short game spin and accuracy. The drop and stop control around the greens makes this ball incredibly consistent and easy to control. Its multi-component construction employs a ZG process Dual Core with a soft Urethane Elastomer cover system, and spherically-tiled 328 tetrahedral dimple design. Its superb distance control and ability to handle the greens, make the Titleist Pro V1x a number one pick on the Tour.
- By far the #1 Ball used on the Tour.
- Provides more consistent flight, extraordinary distance, and the very best in short game spin and control.
- The Urethane Elastomer cover with its 328 dimple design is the most durable cover yet.
Bubba Watson is one of the best golfers in the world and uses some of the best clubs and equipment in the game. However, as you can see from our WITB review, Bubba doesn’t go for the latest and greatest in the golf industry. Rather, he is using clubs and equipment that he has found help him with distance, accuracy, and control. So, if you are looking to improve your golf game, take a look at what’s in Bubba’s bag. You may find something that will help you take your game to the next level.