Matt Kuchar is a professional golfer who plays on the PGA Tour and formerly the Nationwide Tour. He has won seven times on the PGA Tour and was the PGA Tour leading money winner in 2010. Kuchar won The Players Championship in 2012, the flagship event of the PGA Tour, his biggest tournament victory to date. As a result, he moved to a career high number five in the world rankings and has spent over 40 weeks ranked inside its Top-10.
As always, in our “What’s in the bag?” series (or “WITB”) we bring light to only the best clubs and gear that professional players are currently using in their bags. So, if you are currently looking to take your golf game to the next level, then take a look at what’s in Matt Kuchar’s bag.
Matt Kuchar Career Highlights Video
Shaft: Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec 6S
Bridgestone has been on the cutting edge of new drivers, integrating new technology in drivers such as the Bridgestone Tour B JGR. The new Tour B JGR driver features Bridgestone’s new power mill face design. This new face design helps produce lower spin rates by increasing the amount of time the ball spends in contact with the club at impact. A new crown design with both internal and external channels allows for more flex at impact. These channels increase ball speeds and launch angles, while ribs in the sole add stiffness for greater energy transfer. The driver also features not only 25 grams of internal weight and an 8 gram internal weight that promotes a slight draw bias for those who fight a slice. The new Tour B JGR driver is a great example of how Bridgestone is applying new features to its lineup.
- New power mill face design produces lower spin rates by increasing the amount of time the ball spends in contact with the club at impact.
- Internal and external channels allow more flex at impact to increase ball speed and launch angle.
- An internal weight promotes a slight draw bias for players who fight a slice.
- Ribs located in the sole add stiffness for greater energy transfer.
Fairway Wood: Titleist 917F2 (15 degrees)
The Titleist 917F2 fairway wood features technology that maximizes distance, forgiveness, and precise customization for every player. The club features Active Recoil Channel 2.0, a design aspect that has been improved to flex more at impact to reduce spin and increase ball speed. Dialing in trajectory and spin is more than ever in the hands of the player due to SureFit CG adjustability. In addition to the improved feel and sound, players will likely see a jump in distance. Additionally, the fairway wood has a variable thickness face insert, which gives off-center shots greater distance, making it a very forgiving wood. The Titleist 917F2’s softer feel and more muted sound than other fairway woods on the market make it a top choice for players on the Tour.
- Surefit CG adjustability allows the player to dial in trajectory and spin.
- Active Recoil Channel 2.0, a design aspect that was improved to flex more at impact to reduce spin and increase ball speed.
- The face insert gives off-center shots greater distance making it one of the most forgiving fairway woods available.
- A softer feel and more muted sound is integrated for appeal.
The 17-4 stainless steel Ping Anser hybrids offer enhanced progressive CG positions and a forgiving head design to optimize launch conditions and playability from all types of lies. The Anser hybrid has a traditional shape that is slightly larger, making it more forgiving on mishits. The lower part of the club face also sits wider and squarer than normal to help alignment and contact; the head is approximately 5% larger than other Ping hybrids. Up there with the very best hybrids this season, it’s clear to see why the leading lights of the golf world, many of whom who aren’t PING staff players, are placing faith in the PING Anser Hybrid
- Internal and external progressive weighting is used to optimize the CG position for each particular loft.
- The lower part of the clubface has been extended and squared off.
- The new Active Recoil Channel 2.0 design allows for more flexing at impact, promoting incresed ball speed and distance.
- External sole weight positions the CG low and increases the MOI.
- Non-glare matte black finish reduces glare and looks sharp.
Irons: Bridgestone J15CB (5-PW)
Shaft: AeroTech SteelFiber i95
When it comes to irons, Bridgestone designed the J15CB set in a manner that guarantees perfection. The Bridgestone J15 CB irons are forged from premium carbon steel to provide an incredible feel. The compact head design allows Tour control and shot-shaping workability. The Bridgestone J15CB iron set inspires confidence in users with its nice look from address. Its thin address form however has an added forgiveness hidden under its top line. The Wide Sure Contact Sole provides consistent turf interaction, while offering unmatched forgiveness in a player’s iron. Bridgestone golf has been, and still is, doing everything in its power to ensure that every golf player reaches his or her highest potential.
- The J15 CB is made with a cutting edge technology for a solid feel with a lot of forgiveness.
- The incredible J15 CB iron is made from the forged premium carbon steel and is incredibly designed for both right and left handed players.
- A wider sure contact enables consistency when in contact with the ball.
- Compact head design gives it a shot-shaping capability and a Tour-level control.
Continuing with Matt’s choice in clubs, the Bridgestone J40 Black Oxide wedge is his go-to when a gap wedge is needed. The J40 Black Oxide features Variable Bounce Technology for improved versatility around the greens. Its machine-milled face produces improved spin rates for more control, while its soft 8620 mild carbon steel construction provides improved feel.
The Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind wedges were designed by Callaway to be an unforgettable club that numerous players will be taking advantage of. Callaway worked on every detail to design a wedge with the precise look and performance that most Tour players wanted. With its high toe and grooves that run across the whole face, this wedge is very unique and very versatile whether you are playing a flop shot, bunker shot, or a shot from deep rough.
- Variable Bounce Technology creates low bounce on the heel and toe sole areas.
- Machine-milled face for increased surface roughness and added spin.
- Soft 8620 mild carbon steel enhances feel.
- A larger face is almost entirely covered in grooves; unlike most wedges, the grooves extend nearly all the way from heel to toe.
Matt Kuchar is known for his arm lock putting style and reached out to Bettinardi to help create what we know as the Kuchar Model 1 Arm Lock putter. This Model 1 Arm Lock has been designed with a wider profile and heel toe weight, creating a beautifully balanced putter. Engineered with a patented F.I.T. (Fell Impact Technology) face, nearly 55% of material was removed from the face for a remarkable soft feel at impact. The Model 1 Arm Lock was designed with a double bend shaft and a slight offset. Meanwhile, its beauty stems from a non-corrosive Pewter finish that coats soft carbon steel. While the Model 1 Arm Lock style may not be for everyone, those looking for a change in their short game might want to check out this unique setup.
A similar model for amateur players would be the Bettinardi BB1 Putter, as seen above.
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bridgestone has always been able to provide players with exceptional, high performance golf balls. With their new Tour B XS series, Bridgestone is able to provide a golf ball that allows player to gain distance but also maintain impressive control. The longer distance is due to the gradation core construction with a redesigned 330 Dual Dimple design gradation. In addition, the improved outer urethane cover with Bridgestone’s SlipRes technology provides an enhanced feel and sense of control. The Bridgestone Tour B XS is a great choice for players and remains a top contender in the golf ball market.
- Seamless Cover Technology makes the golf ball’s dimple pattern perfectly balanced.
- Provides more consistent flight, extraordinary distance, and the very best in short game spin and control.
- SlipRes cover provides a more stable hit on one of the most durable covers.
Matt Kuchar has proven to be one of the best golfers in the world as a seven-time PGA Tour winner with more than $31 million in earnings to date. He consistently wins, consistently smiles, and consistently relies on Bridgestone Golf. He even played with Bridgestone to win his Olympic medal. So, if you are looking to improve your golf game, take a look at what’s in Matt’s bag, you may find something that will help you take your game to the next level.