Lee Westwood is an English professional golfer who has been one of the most consistent players in the game. He has not only won tournaments on five different continents, but has also been named player of the year four times! This includes when Lee became the World number one golfer in 2010, beating Tiger Woods and other incredible players.
In our “What’s in the bag?” series (or “WITB”) we highlight the best clubs and gear that professional players are currently using in their bags. So, if you are currently looking to take your golf game to the next level, then take a look at what’s in Lee Westwood’s bag.
Lee Westwood Career Highlights Video
Driver: Ping G LS Tec (10.5 degrees)
Shaft: Aldila X-Torsion Black 60X
For players looking to lengthen their drives with the added benefit of forgiveness, the Ping G LS Tec driver is one of the best choices. The G LS Tec is considered to be one of the biggest hitters with shots that seem to stay in flight forever, even when off-center mishits happen. First, the Ping G LS Tec provides both accuracy and forgiveness with its huge playable surface on the clubface, allowing players to hit consistent drives effortlessly. In addition, the big face really makes the ball explode at impact with both feel and sound, but without being overly loud or jarring on misses. Secondly, an adjustable hosel allows players to adjust the low-spin head, for up to 350 rpm less backspin compared to other drivers. Finally, the Ping G LS Tec was designed with turbulators on the crown for both a classy look and an effective alignment aid. The bottom line is that the Ping G LS Tec driver is one of the best drivers on the market and an easy favorite among Tour players.
- A large amount of playable surface on the clubface allows players to hit consistent drives effortlessly.
- The adjustable hosel allows players to adjust the low-spin head for more customization.
- The engineered low-spin head offers up to 350 rpm less backspin compared to other drivers.
- A classic look along with turbulators on the crown offer an effective alignment aid.
Fairway Wood: 3 Wood: Ping G (14.5 degrees)
Shaft: Aldila RIP Phenom 70TX
The Ping G Hybrid is one of Ping’s most advanced hybrids to date. It allows players to zone-in on longer shots down the fairway. Ping’s Turbulator Technology is incorporated to be faster and more stable, providing players up to four more yards of carry on each hit. This is achieved through the Turbulator Technology to help create less drag and increase club speed at impact. The Carpenter 455 club face is much hotter than most hybrids; providing an increase in face deflection and higher ball speeds across the clubface. The constructed tiered internal sole setup promotes increased ball speed, distance, and forgiveness. With all the benefits this club has to offer, many players would agree that the Ping G takes their game to the next level.
- With a higher face deflection, players can achieve higher ball speeds at impact.
- The integrated tiered internal sole can assist any level player to gain speed and distance while providing forgiveness on any mishits .
- Players will experience less drag, which gives the opportunity for up to four additional yards of carry.
Irons: Ping i200 (4-PW)
Ping has always provided players with some of the most innovative irons, but the Ping i200 irons are an even more forgiving option. The soft, 431 stainless steel head features a beautiful hydropearl chrome finish, that repels moisture for more control and helps minimize off-center hits in wet conditions and rough lies. A muscle-stabilizing bar and deeper, longer tuning port paired with a thinner, faster face create a powerful feel and sound at impact. That impeccable feel also comes from the soft elastomer insert, activating at impact to enhance face-flexing for faster ball speeds and dampened vibrations through the shaft. This insert nearly doubled in volume compared to previous Ping irons, allowing for more than three times the amount of face contact. With the Ping i200 design of a relatively thin topline, narrow sole, and minimal offset, these irons not only look appealing, but also offer impressive performance.
- Precision milled stainless steel head with elastomer CTP dampens the vibration at impact for a soft but solid feel.
- A 30% thinner face boosts ball speed for increased distance.
- Increased weight in hosel and toe increase MOI nearly 7%.
- Heightened turf interaction through a higher leading edge with a more playable sole.
Ping continues to be a top choice for Tour players looking for a precision wedge around the green. However, Ping really stepped up its game with the Glide 2.0 featuring new, sharper-edged grooves that are spaced closer together. These sharper-edged grooves increase the amount of friction on the clubface, initiate more spin—sometimes up to 400 rpm. This allows for precise distance and trajectory control from full swings to the most finesse shots. Designed with enhanced sole grinds and leading edges, these heads were carefully crafted for exceptional surface interaction and versatility. This allows the wedge to glide through the turf and sand, giving players more room for creativity in shot making. With such a smooth feel, the Ping Glide 2.0 wedge will continue to impress players with its performance, no matter the situation.
- Milled faces and grooves are sharper and closer together giving players the ability to add up to 400 rpm spin.
- Dry or wet conditions, the hydropearl finish allows this wedge to perform no matter the situation.
- Low-lofted clubs have one extra groove while the higher-lofted clubs have two extra grooves—these additions provide more spin and shot control.
- SS Grid with the heel and trail end relief assist golfers who may have moderate attack angles/divots.
The Ping Vault putter is known to provide players an experience of a true and consistent putting stroke. This impressive putter comes with an individually milled face pattern that varies in depth and pitch across the face. This setup helps maximizes ball speed on off-center impacts, thus leading to a truly honest roll and less putts. The patented True Roll technology is considered one of the most significant and measurable innovations due to it providing players ball speed consistency and precision accuracy. While the whole series of Ping Vault putters are impressive, it’s known that Lee went with the Vault Bergen model since it’s designed more for players with a straight putting stroke.
Lee also utilizes the Ping Sigma G putter due to its precision milled, aerospace-grade aluminum and True Roll Face Technology. This new technology includes a new pattern that varies in depth and pitch to improve performance and touch on all putts. Manufactured with a lightweight, elastic Pebax elastomer insert that covers the entire hitting surface, and increases impact stability. Finally, an optimally placed CG position helps to reduce skid and initiate forward roll. Delivering a uniquely soft yet responsive feel, the Sigma G putters will help you to sink more putts more often.
Ball: Titleist Pro V1
Titleist has been the leader for many years when it comes to leading golf ball technology. Its new Titleist Pro V1 golf ball is a prime example that offers longer distance, more consistent flight patterns, and a lower long game spin. The Pro V1 is engineered to give players a very soft feel, while still offering longer lasting durability. This golf ball also includes outstanding “drop-and-stop” short game control to help bring precise performance to every player. Titleist created the Next Generation 2.0 ZG process core to utilize a softer compression along with a soft Urethane Elastomer cover system. Finally, the new spherically-tiled 352 tetrahedral dimple design provides players with impeccable performance. Each element of the Pro V1 golf ball works together to deliver the high functionality that players need on every shot.
- Titleist continues to be one of the top manufacturers of golf balls used on the Tour.
- Provides more consistent flight, extraordinary distance, and an outstanding “drop-and-stop” short game.
- Newly engineered core and elastomer cover system provide impressive durability.
Lee Westwood has been named one of the best players in the world and his choice in clubs definitely influenced that well-earned title. As you can see from our WITB review, Lee keeps his bag consistent by using Ping as his main club choice. Ping’s precise engineering allowed Lee to have more distance, accuracy, and control. So, if you are looking to improve your golf game, take a look at what’s in Lee’s bag, you may find something that will help you take your game to the next level.