Zach Johnson is an American professional golfer with 12 victories on the PGA Tour under his belt. This includes two major championships—the 2007 Masters and the 2015 Open Championship. Impressively, Johnson is also one of only two players to have twice shot a round of 60 on the PGA Tour.
In our “What’s in the bag?” series (or “WITB”) we highlight the best clubs and gear that professional players are currently using in their bags. So, if you are currently looking to take your golf game to the next level, then take a look at what’s in Zach Johnson’s bag.
Driver: PXG 0811 (9 degrees)
The PXG 0811 is considered one of the most high-end clubs on the market. First, what makes the PXG 0811 driver stand out is the 16 adjustable screws on the sole. This gives you a mind blowing 8,008 possible combinations to move the CG heel to maximize the forgiveness. Along with the new low-spin head, the PXG 0811 is ideal for faster speeds and better players who need to regulate and lower their ball spin for longer drives. Secondly, the new carbon crown saves on frame weight. A TPE honeycomb insert in the chassis gives a unique sound and feel. Finally, the classic teardrop shape is very distinctive and combined with the matte black finish, this head looks sharp and aggressive. With the PXG 0811 having such incredible feel and forgiveness, it’s no wonder that this low-spin driver is a favorite on tour.
- Using high-strength titanium alloy allows for a thinner face, saving critical mass, and leading to a more optimized ball flight.
- The PXG Precision Weighting System keeps clubhead mass distributed through a series of weights to increase MOI.
- The tungsten provides a significant moveable mass in the clubhead, easily adjusted to optimize launch, spin, and direction.
- With 16 unique loft and lie combinations, players can find the perfect combination to deliver the best fit available.
Fairway Wood: PXG 0341 & PXG 0341X
Shaft: Aldila Tour Blue 85TX (3 wood) & Fujikura Speeder Evolution 869 8.0X (5 wood)
Once again PXG is raising the bar when it comes to functionality and design. The PXG 0341 fairway wood features the adjustable Precision Weighting System. The 11 strategically placed interchangeable weights on the sole allow players to optimize trajectory to achieve both maximum distance and accuracy. The face construction is formed from HT1770 high-strength steel. This allows for a thinner face with a very unique feel, delivering solid and fast swing speeds. Lastly, the shallow head design of the PXG 0341 makes it an easy choice on the fairway when approaching the green. The feel and consistency of this fairway wood is one of the best we have ever seen.
- The 11 interchangeable weights allow customization for maximum accuracy and distance.
- Using a high-strength steel allows for a thinner face, thereby saving critical mass.
- With a launch angle that is 1 degree higher, it should produce about 300-400 rpm less spin.
- Ability to produce shots that have up to 7-10 yards additional carry distance.
The new PXG 0311 iron could be the best iron available for players wanting to improve their performance. First and foremost, the PXG 0311XF has a longer blade length helping build confidence when addressing the ball. The ultra-thin HT1770 steel face removes unnecessary weight behind the face, allowing extra mass to be positioned around the perimeter in the form of 11 tungsten weights, raising MOI. Meanwhile, a thermoplastic elastomer is injected into the hollow body to dampen vibrations and add stability on every shot. Finally, the internal face cutout design increases the effective hitting area on the face by about 15%, for both more forgiveness on off-center hits and better ball speed overall. The PXG 0311XF irons are great clubs offering incredible functionality with the sleek look of a blade.
- Lower weight position increases MOI and forgiveness.
- Upgraded polymer could deliver 20% more speed, which increases ball speed up to 1-2 mph.
- A larger face provides higher ball speeds across the face.
- A thick top line and wide sole takes forgiveness to a whole new level.
Players generally seek consistency, and the PXG 0311T wedge is a go-to for just that. Grooves with greater volume allow the wedge to channel away water and debris more effectively; allowing players to generate more spin and increase consistency. Designed to be slightly more forgiving, the sole design has a low leading edge, wide sole, and moderate heel relief. The PXG 0311T provides a straightforward, classic clubhead shape and simple sole grind, which makes it easy to open or close regardless of the lie. Finally, the PXG Wedge utilizes tungsten weights on the perimeter, making it incredibly forgiving. This makes the PXG 0311T a trustworthy club that will never disappoint around the green.
- High-volume grooves help to improve distance and trajectory control.
- Classic clubhead design gives players the ability to open or close the face for any lie.
- Tungsten weights allow for maximum forgiveness.
- 100% milled carbon steel gives consistent performances and advanced shot-making.
Putter: SeeMore FGP
SeeMore putters have been used in numerous performances in many championships throughout time. The RifleScope Technology Alignment System provides players the ability to create a perfect, repeatable alignment and putting stroke. The SeeMore FGP has a great feel from the precise manufacturing of 100% Milled aluminum head with stainless steel sole weights. This provides players with a more natural feel in their stroke, increasing confidence around the green. The SeeMore FGP is a true game improvement putter with its ability to provide the perfect alignment and set up on every putt.
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x
The Titleist Pro V1x golf balls are the #1 golf ball, offering total performance to players on Tour. The Titleist Pro V1x have been precisely engineered to provide a soft feel, long lasting durability, and outstanding short game control to help boost a player’s performance when on the course. Its multi-component construction employs a ZG process Dual Core with a soft Urethane Elastomer cover system, and spherically-tiled 328 tetrahedral dimple design. Titleist’s mission to design and produce a great golf ball shines with the Pro V1x golf ball, delivering superior performance and quality.
- By far the #1 golf ball choice of players on Tour.
- The Urethane Elastomer cover with its 328 dimple design makes for a phenomenal feel and impressive durability.
- The very best in performance with low long game spin and higher flight.
Zach Johnson is a top competitor and is prepped with some of the best clubs and equipment in the game. However, as you can see from our WITB review, Zach favors the PXG line for its adjustibility to customize it for his swing. So, if you are looking to maximize your golf skills, take a look at what’s in Zach’s bag, you may find something that will help you take your game to the next level.