Updated February 2024 to update booking information.
If you’ve read our past course guides about Tennessee, you know that I love the Volunteer State and have spent a lot of time here. And yes, times were a little wild when I was here in my younger years. But we don’t need to rehash the whiskey and honky tonks that were a priority before I got married and had kids.
Instead, let’s talk about what you’re really here for. Golf. The community of Knoxville is thriving and vibrant. From music, to food, and culture, there’s no shortage of entertainment to be found here. What often goes overlooked, however, is the city’s public golf scene.
While I’ve played some of the tracks on this list, I asked our Knoxville area readers to chime in with their thoughts. They didn’t disappoint.
Egwani Farms Golf Course
Nestled in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, Egwani Farms Golf Course offers golfers a captivating blend of challenge and natural beauty. The course, named after a Native American word meaning ‘Little River’, is a testament to its stunning surroundings. The river comes into play on seven holes, adding an extra layer of complexity to the game. Originally used for agriculture, the land was transformed into a remarkable golf course, and in 2016, it underwent extensive renovations to elevate the golfing experience even further.
Egwani Farms Golf Course is renowned for its highly regarded greens, providing golfers with a challenging and scenic golfing experience. The course is strategically designed to provide golfers with opportunities for risk and reward, making each round both thrilling and strategic. Situated in Knoxville, Tennessee, Egwani Farms Golf Course is a must-visit for those seeking a memorable and rewarding golfing experience.
Whether you’re a local resident or visiting the area, this course promises an unforgettable golfing adventure amidst the breathtaking backdrop of the Great Smoky Mountains.
Williams Creek Golf Course
Situated amidst the captivating golfing landscape of Knoxville, Tennessee, Williams Creek Golf Course offers a unique and relaxing experience for golfers, complementing the challenging and scenic allure of Egwani Farms Golf Course.
- Williams Creek Golf Course is often considered the best par three course in Tennessee.
- The short course offers challenging elements, including holes that play over water with steep runoffs and bunkers.
- It features well-maintained tee boxes and true greens, making it perfect for limited time or quick rounds.
- The course is popular among junior golfers and offers lessons, complete with a driving range and putting green.
Located near residential neighborhoods and downtown Knoxville, this course provides a short and relaxing golf experience. It’s ideal for golfers looking to hone their short game skills or for those seeking a quick round. The course’s popularity among junior golfers also makes it a great place for young enthusiasts to learn and improve their game.
With its convenient location and challenging yet manageable layout, Williams Creek Golf Course is a must-visit for golfers in search of an enjoyable and rewarding round.
Wild Laurel Golf Course
Tucked away in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, Wild Laurel Golf Course offers golfers a breathtaking and immersive experience amidst stunning natural landscapes. The course’s layout seamlessly blends with the surrounding hills, providing golfers with a unique and challenging experience.
Golfers can expect risk-and-reward opportunities that add an exciting dimension to their game. The course’s design not only offers stunning views but also provides a chance to encounter the local wildlife, making it a special place to experience.
After a round of golf, players can unwind and enjoy post-round refreshments at the tavern situated within the Wild Laurel Golf Course. The location of the course allows golfers to enjoy the tranquil sounds of the nearby creek and the picturesque beauty of the area.
With its seamless integration with nature and the chance to encounter wildlife, Wild Laurel Golf Course offers a golfing experience that’s both memorable and distinct. It’s a must-visit for golfers seeking a unique and immersive golfing experience in the Knoxville, Tennessee area.
Gatlinburg Golf Course
Gatlinburg Golf Course offers golfers an unparalleled experience with its breathtaking views of the Great Smoky Mountains and challenging mountain terrain. This golf course has been recognized as the best public golf course in Tennessee by Golf Digest, and for good reason. Here’s why you should consider playing at Gatlinburg Golf Course:
- Stunning Scenery: The course provides unparalleled views of the Great Smoky Mountains, creating a picturesque backdrop for your game.
- Elevation Changes: With prominent elevation changes throughout the course, you’ll encounter a challenging and dynamic game that’s unique to mountain golf.
- Memorable Holes: Each hole at Gatlinburg Golf Course is distinct, offering a memorable and enjoyable golfing experience.
- Rewarding Challenge: The course’s combination of breathtaking scenery and challenging terrain ensures a rewarding and enjoyable game for golfers seeking an exceptional mountain golf experience.
Gatlinburg Golf Course stands out as a top choice for those looking to play amidst the beauty of the Great Smoky Mountains while enjoying a challenging round of golf.
Tennessee Centennial Golf Course
Nestled within a splendid hardwood forest, Tennessee Centennial Golf Course promises a rewarding and memorable experience for golfers of all skill levels. This Knoxville Municipal gem, established in 1996, has garnered critical acclaim for its accuracy-based layout and stunning scenery.
The course’s strategic design demands a wide array of shots, making it a must-visit for golfers seeking a challenge. Tennessee Centennial Golf Course strikes a perfect balance, offering a memorable experience without being overly ostentatious. The breathtaking views and topography, particularly during the fall season, add to the allure of this exceptional course.
Known for its ability to test golfers’ precision, this course provides an opportunity for players to showcase their skills. If you’re seeking the best golf experience in Knoxville, Tennessee Centennial Golf Course is a prime choice.
Whether you’re a seasoned golfer looking for a challenge or a beginner honing your skills, this course offers a rewarding and unforgettable experience in a truly picturesque setting.
Avalon Country Club
Perched at the base of the Great Smoky Mountains, Avalon Country Club offers golf enthusiasts a stunning backdrop and an unforgettable golfing experience. Designed by renowned architect Arthur Hills, this 18-hole golf course demands strategic thinking and provides a special golfing experience without being overly ostentatious. The layout encompasses 166 acres and offers varied topography, making it a must-visit location for golfers seeking a challenging and picturesque course.
Here are a few key highlights to consider:
- Diverse Shot Selection: The course requires a wide array of shots, testing your skills and offering an engaging challenge.
- Strategic Thinking: Strategic thinking is essential to navigate the course’s layout effectively, ensuring a rewarding experience for golfers of all levels.
- Captivating Views: The stunning backdrop of the Great Smoky Mountains provides an awe-inspiring setting for your golfing adventures.
- Practice Facilities: Avalon Country Club features a top-notch driving range and practice area, allowing golfers to hone their skills before hitting the course.
As a proud host of prestigious events like the Knoxville City Amateur, Avalon Country Club stands as a testament to the artistry and craftsmanship of its design, promising an exceptional round of golf amidst breathtaking natural beauty.
Island Point Golf Club
Located in Kodak, Tennessee, Island Point Golf Club offers golfers a unique and challenging experience amidst its stunning natural surroundings. This golf course, widely regarded as one of the best in the Knoxville, Tennessee area, provides a sense of seclusion and tranquility, nestled between Knoxville and the Great Smoky Mountains.
Designed by Arthur Hills, the course features a modern layout that presents challenges for all players, making it a top choice for golf enthusiasts seeking a memorable round. Island Point Golf Club isn’t just about the game; it’s an opportunity to encounter wildlife such as turkeys, deer, and even bears, adding an extra dimension to the experience.
The course’s stunning natural surroundings and layout, which offers risk and reward opportunities, make it a highly regarded destination for golfers looking for a memorable and unique round of golf. Island Point Golf Club truly stands out as a top-tier daily fee facility, providing an exceptional golfing experience that blends seamlessly with the beauty of its natural environment.
Lambert Acres Golf Club
Lambert Acres Golf Club offers golfers a picturesque 27-hole course with challenging elevation changes, promising an enjoyable and rewarding experience for players in the Knoxville area. The course stands out as a must-visit for those seeking an enjoyable round of golf in Knoxville.
Here’s why Lambert Acres Golf Club is a gem in the area:
- Precision is required due to narrow fairways and small greens at Lambert Acres Golf Club.
- Often overlooked, Lambert Acres Golf Club offers great value and enjoyment for golfers in the Knoxville area.
- The course is a must-visit for golfers, providing a rewarding experience and beautiful scenery.
- Lambert Acres Golf Club is a municipal golf course that provides an excellent opportunity for players to test their skills and enjoy the game in a stunning setting.
With its challenging layout and beautiful surroundings, Lambert Acres Golf Club is a top choice for golfers in Knoxville looking for a memorable and fulfilling round of golf.
Whittle Springs Golf Course
Whittle Springs Golf Course, like Lambert Acres Golf Club, offers golfers in Knoxville a classic and cherished municipal course experience with a rich history dating back to 1932. The course has retained its traditional charm, providing golfers with an unchanged, nostalgic atmosphere. It holds a special place in the hearts of Knoxville residents, offering an enjoyable round of golf for players of all skill levels.
What makes Whittle Springs Golf Course unique is its ability to attract a diverse mix of golfers, adding to its vibrant character. The weekend green fee of $30 makes it an affordable option for a memorable golfing experience. Whether you’re a local resident or visiting Knoxville, Whittle Springs Golf Course promises a delightful and authentic golfing adventure.
The course’s enduring appeal lies in its timeless design and the sense of history that permeates the grounds. It’s a place where golfers can appreciate the sport’s traditions while enjoying a relaxing round. Whittle Springs Golf Course stands as a testament to Knoxville’s rich golfing heritage, making it a must-visit for those seeking an authentic and cherished golfing experience in Tennessee.
Beverly Park Par Three Golf Course
Nestled in the heart of Knoxville, Tennessee, Beverly Park Par Three Golf Course offers a delightful and relaxed golfing experience for players of all skill levels. Managed by the Tennessee Golf Association, this short course is perfect for juniors, families, beginners, and everyone else looking for a quick and enjoyable round of golf.
Here’s why you should consider teeing off at Beverly Park Par:
- Family-Friendly: With its nine-hole track, this minimalist facility is an ideal choice for a family-friendly golfing experience.
- Quick Play: The course, managed by the Tennessee Golf Association, offers a quick play option, making it perfect for those seeking a relaxed and swift round of golf.
- All Skill Levels: Suited for all skill levels, Beverly Park Par Three Golf Course provides an inviting atmosphere for both beginners and experienced golfers.
- Relaxing Environment: If you’re looking for a laid-back and enjoyable golfing experience, Beverly Park Par Three Golf Course is the place to be.
Whether you’re a junior, a beginner, or just looking for a stress-free round of golf, Beverly Park Par Three Golf Course is a great choice in Knoxville.
There are any number of reasons to visit the great state of Tennessee. Music, food, whiskey, culture, the list goes on.
What often gets overlooked however, is the quality of golf to be found in the Volunteer State. The community of Knoxville is a prime example.
While I’ve played a fair bit here, I’m certainly no authority. Thankfully, there’s a strong contingency of Golfer’s Authority readers that are. To them, I send my warm thanks for sharing your thoughts about your fine city’s public golf.
If you have additional thoughts, we’d love to hear from you in the comments below.