Rory McIlroy is one of the best golfers in the world and one of the most exciting players to watch. As of 2018, he has earned 14 PGA Tour victories, the most recent coming in the 2018 Arnold Palmer Invitational, as well as 4 Major Championships. Known for his incredible length off the tee despite his smaller stature, Rory McIlroy brings an excitement to the game few others can match. When he’s firing on all cylinders, he’s almost impossible to beat.
In our “What’s in the bag?” series (or “WITB”) we highlight the best clubs and gear that the top Tour pros are currently using. If you are currently looking to take your golf game to the next level, take a look at what’s in Rory McIlroy bag.
Rory McIlroy Career Highlights Video
Driver: TaylorMade M3 (8.5 degrees)
The TaylorMade M3 driver features Twist Face technology, which is engineered to reduce side spin and to deliver straighter tee shots as well as provide more loft in the high-toe and less loft in the low-heel for more consistent spin where golfers commonly miss-hit. The M3 also features a Hammerhead Slot that provides a larger sweet spot and increased ball speed for more distance while the Y-Track system allows you to move weight and adjust your settings for optimal trajectory, maximum forgiveness, or raw speed.
- The wide sole channel delivers more distance by flexing at impact which helps to launch the ball off the face with higher speed and lower spin.
- The high-speed face insert, made of a thick center and radially thin perimeter located in the heel and toe of the club, helps to deliver greater distance on off-center hits.
- Reducing the thickness of the club up front allows for the weight to be strategically placed in the back, resulting in a low and deep center of gravity that provides greater ball speed and more forgiveness.
- Sixteen unique loft and lie combinations provide players with the perfect combination to deliver the best fit available.
Fairway Wood: TaylorMade M3 (15 and 19 degrees)
The TaylorMade M3 fairway wood sports a lighter 5-layer carbon crown and sole with 8g of weight that has been moved down for a lower center-of-gravity. A longer Speed Pocket provides more flexibility and ball speed low on the face while the new track delivers precise and consistent turf interaction for improved playability.
- Twist Face Technology: By twisting the face open on the high-toe and closed on the low-heel, golfers produce straighter shots on mishits.
- The Hammerhead Slot makes the sweet spot larger by increasing ball speed and forgiveness across the entire club face.
- Y-Track: Two 11-gram weights can be adjusted to personalize ball flight for draw/fade or high/low launch.
Driving Iron: TaylorMade P-790 UDI (2 Iron)
Shaft: Project X HZRDUS 6.5 105
SpeedFoam in the new P790 UDI creates a high COR for incredible distance in a forged iron. Enchanced by an ultra-thin 1.75mm face and a mini Inverted Cone, this driving iron delivers distance and accuracy like never before seen in an iron
- Minimal offset and straighter topline provide a confidence building look at address.
- Super-thin face promotes unparalleled distance from the tee and the fairway.
- A smaller version of the Inverted Cone acts as a springboard, further enhancing distance.
Shaft: Project X Rifle 7.0
The TaylorMade P750 irons are designed for players who prefer a compact, forged clubhead for precise shot making and immediate feedback after impact. The irons are crafted from 1025 carbon steel through a new mutli-step forging process which ensures precise head shaping with minimal hand polishing for a pure players iron with a soft, solid feel. The P750 irons feature a thin topline (thinner than the P770) and progressive offset for a clean look at address as well as a narrower sole and tighter leading edge for improved turf interaction.
Designed for the best players in the world, the TaylorMade P730 irons are amongst the best irons TaylorMade has to offer. The Tour-inspired shaping features improvements over previous muscle backs, including a smaller blade profile, refined leading edge, and sharp lines. Built from forged 1025 carbon steel head, the face and grooves are precision-milled to produce soft feel, crisp turf interaction, and exceptional shot-shaping capabilities.
- Forged from quality carbon steel, these irons provide the ultimate in feel and feedback.
- Precision milling allows you to control your distances with remarkable accuracy.
- Designed for the serious golfer in mind, these irons look great at address from any lie and perform just as well.
Shaft: Project X Rifle 6.5
The TaylorMade Milled Grind wedges set a high standard in precision, featuring up to 3 different bounces for a given loft. The CNC machined sole geometry coupled with a precise leading edge, this wedge inspires a lot of confidence at address. New ZTP-17 grooves and a precision weight port combine to lower CG which maximizes spin and gives you incredible control around the greens. The Low Bounce is designed for firm turf and sand conditions, and a shallower swing. The Standard Bounce is designed for moderate turf and sand conditions and for players with a standard swing. The High Bounce is designed for soft turf and sand conditions, and steeper attack angles.
The TaylorMade Hi-Toe wedge offers incredible versatility around the greens. Designed to produce a lower launch and more spin, it features a sole cavity with three trapezoid-shaped pockets to optimize weight distribution. Full-face scoring lines ensure consistent ball contact out of the rough while the high bounce leading-edge with increased belly offers less resistance for improved contact from turf or sand. The Hi-Toe wedge also has a Channel Cut Mid-Sole which prevents excessive digging.
- Deeper bore and shaft insertion allows weight to be removed from the hosel, increasing performance.
- ZTP-17 grooves provide maximum spin from tight lies as well as wet rough.
- More centrally located center-of-gravity improves feel and forgiveness.
Putter: Taylormade TP Mullen Tour Proto
Shaft: Golf Pride Pistol
The TaylorMade TP Collection Mullen putters are designed with a flawless and precise Milled 303 stainless steel head with a tour stain finish. The Milled 360 Roll Insert allows for better ball-gripping which results in improved roll, sound and feel. The TP Collection putters also feature strategically positioned high contrast sightlines that makes alignment easier before you make your stroke. By combining the features of a blade putter with a mallet design, the Mullen is a perfect fit for players who release the toe through impact.
- Mallet-style design provides incredible stability throughout the stroke.
- Two 5g weights in the sole of the putter further enhance stability and feel.
- Engineered with a slight toe hang, this putter is ideal for the open-to-close stroke.
Ball: TaylorMade TP5x
The TaylorMade TP5x golf ball features a Tri-Fast Core and Dual-Spin Cover which combines for a 5-layer golf ball construction, specifically engineered to perform with every club in the bag. The Tri-Fast Core provides progressive compression for maximum energy transfer while the Dual-Spin soft cast urethane cover with its 322 seamless dimple pattern produces incredible spin performance. The TP5x ball also features 90 compression and high launch combined with low spin for extremely long distance on all shots.
- One of the most popular golf balls on Tour.
- Provides more consistent flight, extraordinary distance, and the ultimate short game spin and control.
- Low spin with the woods and higher spin with the irons make it the perfect high-performance golf ball.
Rory McIlroy is one of the best golfers in the world and uses some of the best clubs and equipment in the game. Being a high-profile player, Rory has access to clubs that are perfectly designed for his game. The good news is once he finds something that helps him perform his best, it usually becomes available to the general public in no time. If you are looking for the highest quality golf clubs from the TaylorMade family, his set would be a great one to emulate.