Hideki Matsuyama WITB? (What’s in the Bag)
Hideki Matsuyama is one of the best golfers in the world and one of our favorite players to watch. As of 2018, Hideki has won 5 PGA Tour titles including two World Golf Championships. Hideki Matsuyama is an amazing player, and quickly becoming on of the best Japanese players in history. In our “What’s in […]
Go to ...
Hideki Matsuyama is one of the best golfers in the world and one of our favorite players to watch. As of 2018, Hideki has won 5 PGA Tour titles including two World Golf Championships. Hideki Matsuyama is an amazing player, and quickly becoming on of the best Japanese players in history.
In our “What’s in the bag?” series (or “WITB”) we highlight the best clubs and gear that professional players are currently using in their bags. If you are looking to take your golf game to the next level, then take a look at what’s in Hideki Matsuyama’s bag.
Hideki Matsuyama Career Highlights Video
Shaft: Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8TX
The Callaway Great Big Bertha is an incredible driver with features that help maximize distance and forgiveness. It features a light and fast multi-material chassis to generate more clubhead speed and a wide range of weight classes to suit multiple swing types. The Great Big Bertha also features Next Gen RMOTO technology which provides a thinner face leading to higher ball speeds on center and off-center hits. Adjustable Perimeter Weighting on the perimeter of the head allows for ball flight and dispersion control with increased forgiveness.
- Increased ball speed thanks to Next Gen RMOTO Technology.
- Multi-Material Chassis generates more clubhead speed compared to previous Callaway models.
- By reducing the thickness of the club up front, it has allowed for the weight to be strategically placed in the back, thereby resulting in a low and deep center of gravity that provides greater ball speed and more forgiveness.
- Adjustable Perimeter Weighting improves dispersion control for improves forgiveness on off-center hits.
Fairway Wood: TaylorMade M4 (15 degrees)
Shaft: Graphite Design Tour AD DI-9TX
The TaylorMade M4 fairway wood sports a new 5-layer carbon crown, providing a lower CG which increases launch while reducing spin. The Ni-Co 300 steel face insert creates a thinner, explosive face for optimized ball speed while the fluted hosel provides superior feel without compromising the center-of-gravity. Geocoustic technology improves sound quality, while a low-profile shape making it easy to launch and play from any lie.
- The innovative five-layer carbon crown creates a lower CG and promotes higher launch while reducing spin.
- Strong Ni-Co 300 steel face insert allows for a thinner, faster face which increases ball speed.
- With 16 unique loft and lie combinations, players can find the perfect combination for their play style.
- The geocoustic technology improves sound quality and overall feel.
One the most popular golf club manufacturers in Japan, the Honma Tour World TW727 Utility club features a larger head and a straighter leading edge for more forgiveness and easier alignment for all golfers. Difficult to find in America and even tougher to purchase from Japan, there are great alternatives available in the United States, including the TaylorMade M4 Utility Club and the Callaway Rogue Hybrid.
Irons: Srixon Z 965 (4-PW)
The Srixon Z-965 iron set features a forged muscle blade design for the most demanding of players. This iron set incorporates Srixon’s newly modified sole grind, Tour V.T. Sole. The added bounce to the leading edge and reduced bounce from the trailing edge reduces turf interaction and helps tighten shot dispersion for more control. It also features a 1020 Carbon Steel body, for an extremely soft, but solid feel as well as 5 percent larger grooves, a double laser milled face for better spin control in all conditions and a SUP10 Steel face for a higher COR and greater distance throughout the set.
- It’s forged body and face have been modified for even more efficiency through the turf, thus allowing for greater consistency and control.
- Very forgiving irons, and greater spin control thanks to improved center of gravity location, especially on off-center hits.
- An all iron face that features 5% larger groves, which helps to improve contact in wet conditions.
The Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 wedge is the new name in spin and control. This wedge combines the incredible performance of the classic 588 wedge and Cleveland’s Rotex Face technology, which makes it the most innovative Cleveland wedge to date. The 588 RTX 2.0 wedge is offered with three different grind options which allows players to maximize performance from any type of turf condition.
- Classic 588 wedge design appeals to golfers who have become used to Cleveland’s style.
- Built from high-quality carbon steel, these wedges offer the best in feel and durability.
- Wedges can be customized with the bounce and center of gravity for maximum playability.
Putter: Scotty Cameron Circle T GSS
The next generation of Scotty Cameron Select putters are engineered for performance, milled to precision and designed with elegance. Scotty Cameron’s proven multi-material construction methodology of combining face inlays of either 303 stainless steel or 6061 aircraft-grade aluminum with stainless steel bodies provide superior balance, weight distribution, sound and feel. Featuring new four-way sole balancing technology, each 2018 Select putter sits perfectly square at address to promote easier alignment on virtually any lie.
Ball: Srixon Z Star XV
The new Z-STAR XV is designed for players who want the maximum performance of a tour-level golf ball. Similar to the regular Z-STAR, it features the new 338 Speed Dimple pattern which helps in producing less drag and enhanced distance performance. Another great feature is that the Z-STAR XV incorporates a Spin Skin coating which allows for even more friction and greenside spin control. Furthermore, the most significant feature of the Z-STAR XV is its construction. Built out of advanced four-piece layers, it makes it perfect for golfers who demand more distance and control.
- Built out of Energetic Gradient Growth (E.G.G.) Core Technology, which allows for lower compression and increased distances.
- With the 338 dimple pattern, the Z-STAR XV has improved flight performance and control and can easily gain greater distance from full swung shots.
- The very best in performance with low long game spin and higher flight
Hideki Matsuyama is one of the best golfers in the world and uses some of the best clubs and equipment in the game. However, as you can see from our WITB review, Hideki is not using the latest releases in the golf industry. Rather, he is using clubs and equipment that he has found helps him have more distance, accuracy and control. So, if you are looking to improve your golf game, take a look at what’s in Hideki’s bag, you may find something that will help you take your game to the next level.